We are excited to join in celebrating the 47th anniversary of Peanuts’ first African-American
character, “FRANKLIN,” today, July 31! Harriet Glickman, a school teacher, wrote a letter to Peanuts’ creator Charles M. Schulz following the death of Martin Luther King urging him to include an African American character in his the popular comic strip. “Franklin Armstrong” was introduced on July 31, 1968 becoming the first minority character in a major, mainstream comic strip. And after meeting at the beach, Franklin became a regular part of the group as a class mate of Peppermint Patty and Marcie, and a player on Peppermint Patty’s baseball team. Peanuts is also celebrating it’s 65th anniversary this year, so what better way to celebrate than a new movie!
Here’s an image of that first comic strip:
Franklin will be joining the rest of the Peanuts gang in the new movie hitting theaters Nov. 6th. The movie looks to put together all of our favorite Peanuts story lines in to one epic movie. Visit peanutsmovie.com to check out the trailer and learn more about the movie.
Now back to Franklin!
Fun Facts about Franklin:
• THE PEANUTS MOVIE is his first appearance on screen since 1999.
• “Franklin” has been voiced by 19 actors throughout the years. He will be voiced by Mar Mar in THE PEANUTS MOVIE.
• “Franklin” is an EXCELLENT dancer – he is shown breakdancing in several of the show’s specials.
• Ice Hockey is “Franklin’s” favorite sport. He is shown practicing in many of the comic strips.
• “Franklin” is Charlie Brown’s best friend; they met on the beach in his first appearance.
Charlie Brown, Snoopy, Lucy, Linus and the rest of the beloved “Peanuts” gang make their big-screen debut, like they’ve never been seen before, in state of the art 3D animation. Charlie Brown, the world’s most beloved underdog, embarks upon an epic and heroic quest, while his best pal, the lovable beagle Snoopy, takes to the skies to pursue his arch-nemesis, the Red Baron. From the imagination of Charles M. Schulz and the creators of the ICE AGE films, THE PEANUTS MOVIE will prove that every underdog has his day. Release: November 6, 2015
All Images are used with permission from 20th Century Fox. All TM and © belong to Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation. All Rights Reserved.